Thursday, November 26 , 2015, 7:15 pm | Fair 51º

Homeless Man Suffers Severe Injuries in Apparent Assault

By Giana Magnoli, Noozhawk Staff Writer | @magnoli |

A local homeless man was found with severe injuries early Wednesday morning and appears to be the victim of an assault, Santa Barbara police Sgt. Riley Harwood said.

The 49-year-old man was found in Plaza del Mar Park, on Castillo and Cabrillo streets, by Santa Barbara City College security at 5:59 a.m. He was on the grass between the restrooms and tennis courts with severe injuries.

“He was taken by paramedics to Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital, and we have patrol officers and detectives now working on this case,” Harwood said.

Authorities talked briefly with the victim before he went to the hospital for treatment, but will follow up later, according to Harwood.

He would release no further details about the incident.

Plaza del Mar Park is the grassy area with the bandstand that’s adjacent to Pershing Park and the municipal tennis courts shared with SBCC.

Noozhawk staff writer Giana Magnoli can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.

» on 02.13.13 @ 01:58 PM

Does Harwood do any real police work or is he just a high paid spokeman?

» on 02.14.13 @ 02:45 AM

Glad to hear you have so much respect for our local law enforcement Please.  Thank you for your insightful and thought provoking comment!

» on 02.14.13 @ 12:10 PM

It was a dingo.

» on 02.14.13 @ 12:45 PM

The weak P.C. Liberals in charge of Santa Barbara want the homeless here for what ever reason?, but the danger to our families is just too much.

I never seen so many on our streets, why would you want to attract the homeless to move to one of the most expensive area’s in the nation?

Liberal idiots in charge!!!

Thanks Democrats..

» on 02.14.13 @ 12:46 PM

He is the SBPD paid spokesman or public relations officer.

» on 02.14.13 @ 01:41 PM

Ditto from me what noozhawkuser wrote.

» on 02.14.13 @ 08:44 PM

I think that is a legit comment. Harwood probably makes six figures. The pd complains about not having enough staff but they can use a sworn officer for a position that is arguably unnecessary. That is a waste!

» on 02.15.13 @ 01:27 AM

OK then, I’m finding your 04:44 PM comment much more thought-provoking than your original — and I also now realize that I (and thus perhaps others as well) read your original comment to be simply flippant and unproductive (i.e. you already knew the answer to the question) —  and I can’t be certain I was not mistaken about that; if I was, I apologize.

So I’d have three questions for anyone knowledgeable:

(1) Regarding his salary, how much higher is it than a patrol officer? I thought many / most also made six figures (though that might be including average overtime)?

(2) Please’s original question, taken sincerely, still hasn’t been answered (Art’s answer contributes, but doesn’t answer the question of what percentage of that position is devoted to public relations).

Assuming that answer is more than 50% or so:

(3) Is the position, in fact, arguably unnecessary? I.e. does it provide a sufficiently essential function that a majority of residents would demand in place of one or (1.x) additional patrol officer?