Saturday, August 29 , 2015, 8:30 pm | Fair 89.0º

Teenage Surfer Dies 4 Days after Being Found Unconscious at Sands Beach

Dos Pueblos High student Lindsay Rose was discovered face down in the water Wednesday afternoon

By Sonia Fernandez, Noozhawk Staff Writer | updated logo |

Lindsay Rose, a 15-year-old surfer who was found unconscious in the water at Sands Beach last week, died Sunday at Santa Barbara Cottage Hospital.

The Dos Pueblos High freshman was discovered by other surfers face down in the water around 5:15 p.m. April 1 at Sands Beach near Devereux Slough. Paramedics were called to the scene and performed CPR and defibrillation, according to eyewitness accounts.

She was transported to Cottage Hospital where she was reportedly breathing on her own. Doctors put her in a drug-induced coma to help her recuperate, but she died Sunday morning.

The daughter of Linda and Don Rose of Goleta, Lindsay was a standout softball player, was a member of the Dos Pueblos surf team and was a student in the Dos Pueblos Engineering Academy.

In lieu of flowers, the Rose family has asked that donations be made in Lindsay’s name to the Dos Pueblos Engineering Academy Foundation. Click here to make a donation.

Noozhawk staff writer Sonia Fernandez can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

» on 04.06.09 @ 01:28 PM

So sad to hear the news…R.I.P Lindsay.

» on 04.06.09 @ 01:53 PM

My condolences to the Rose family. I’m so saddened to read this.

» on 04.06.09 @ 03:40 PM

So sorry to hear about this young life lost.  My thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Lindsay.

» on 04.06.09 @ 05:05 PM

I sure do miss her.
She sat next to me in class

» on 04.06.09 @ 09:10 PM

Rest in peace

» on 04.06.09 @ 10:18 PM

So Sad.
Deepest Condolences to the Rose Family.

» on 04.06.09 @ 11:28 PM

Lindsay, the world will never be the same without you. You had such an amazing impact on so many lives; I never saw you without a smile on your face. You’ll be in our hearts forever, and you will definitely never be forgotten. School just isn’t the same without you. I’m so blessed to have known you two incredible years; it’s so unfair that you were taken away from us so quickly, but at least I know you died doing something you loved. Rest in peace, Ms. Rose <3

» on 04.07.09 @ 04:11 AM

My heart goes out to the Rose family.

» on 04.07.09 @ 11:02 AM

This is very sad, indeed.  My sympathies to the family.  Just tragic.

» on 04.07.09 @ 11:48 AM

A parent’s worst nightmare! Children aren’t supposed to die. It breaks all the rules of nature.

Our hearts go out to Linda and Don and their families. May they find comfort, solace and healing.

With deepest sympathy,

Joan Fogel and family of Ed and Becky Morton, Ed is Amanda Morton’s Dad. Amanda is an All-Stars pitcher on the same softball team as Lindsay and also a student at D.P.

» on 04.07.09 @ 06:25 PM

Rest in peace Lindsay life will never be the same with out you you were the one I went to for help and any kind of advice. You were amazing with words you always were happy I’ll never for get you calling me jessssiiieeee it made me smile every time and I say back linnddsaayyy rawr… Am going to miss you. My heart hurts to know your gone but your in a better place Hun. Go on and surf the clouds. my prayers are for you. It’s sad to have you leave your family and friends you will always be in our hearts. At least you left doing something you loved. Am going to miss you so so so much lindsay never be forgoten i promised you that i woild always love you and care about you….r.i.p. Lindsay rose

» on 04.07.09 @ 07:22 PM

Yes, so sad.  My son is Lindsay’s age and I can’t even imagine losing a child so tragically and so soon.  My heart goes out to the Rose family.

» on 04.07.09 @ 08:10 PM

I knew lindsay, you have the facts wrong. She was a freshman not a sophmore.  Her friend gave her cpr before the paramedics even got there.

» on 04.07.09 @ 08:54 PM

Lindsay will always be missed by her friends and family. No one will ever forget her. She was such a happy person who did not deserve this. We will miss you honey. Rest In Peace Lindsay Rose…

» on 04.07.09 @ 09:07 PM

So sad. I can’t imagine the grief. Love your children with everything you have.

» on 04.07.09 @ 09:58 PM

Lindsay was also a beloved member of the DP soccer program and engineering academy, so both gifted athletically and intellectually. Yet at some level it is enough to say, “she was loved for being herself.”  Don and Linda raised a wonderful girl who could not have been loved not mourned more.

» on 04.08.09 @ 10:10 PM

lindsay i can say so much about you u were amazing ypur smile your personality your inside love you always had a way to show your smlie and make ppl love you for your self i wish we could have hung out more times you alawys aske me to show you the moves in soccer i showed you most of them but you showed me not to be quiet and speak for i think wats right i will alway rember you in my heart am broken from my eart to know thatyou have left no ony me but your family and friends i promised you that i would love you and take care of you in any way and i would car for you i hope i didnt ever be on your bad side but i duobt it cause we bonded so well your eyes were amazingly beautiful andyour smie evry were youe went you had that smile on you u were bright. its sad to kno your gone i miss you but youlf this world doing something you lovved surfing but you know you will surf those clouds and play ur soft ball up in heaven i love you so much and i miss you rest in peace lindsay rose my prayers to you

» on 04.08.09 @ 10:10 PM

r.i.p.

» on 04.09.09 @ 09:42 AM

Hearing stories like this really break my heart. And this makes me really want to live my life to te fullest

» on 04.09.09 @ 11:32 AM

Lindsay-  I am heartbroken that we did not get the chance to see you continue on. Those that knew you were drawn to your lighthearted character—What a special girl- I am very proud to have had the chance to know you.

You made me a better Coach- I will see you in the blink of your eye.

» on 04.13.09 @ 09:23 AM

My family and myself wish to reach out to Lindsay’s family with our deepest condolences. To lose a child is the hardest thing anyone will endure in this lifetime. Although we did not know Lindsay our family knows what Lindsay’s family is going through as my daughter Michelle drowned while surfing at Campus Pointe in 2006. If her mother or father would like to talk I am here for them….
We are so deeply saddened and her passing has affected all of us…

» on 04.13.09 @ 01:02 PM

Deepest condolences to Lindsay’s family and friends.

Saddened to hear of another young life so tragecilly taken.

Strength and love

» on 04.30.09 @ 08:19 AM

we were camping at refugio and saw the out pouring of love for lindsay at her padle out she must have been an amazing girl!