Monday, August 31 , 2015, 7:31 pm | Fair 75.0º




Water Heater Fire Quickly Contained on Lower Westside

By Lara Cooper, Noozhawk Staff Writer | @laraanncooper | updated logo |

A flash fire broke out Wednesday afternoon in a lower Westside apartment building, but was quickly contained, according to the Santa Barbara City Fire Department.

Battalion Chief Robert Mercado said crews responded to a smoke investigation call at 2:12 p.m. from The Village at Santa Barbara apartments, 524 W. Canon Perdido St.

A full structure response of three engines, a battalion chief and a ladder truck was sent, and crews arrived at the two-story complex to find that one of the unit's electric water heaters had malfunctioned, causing "a flash-type fire," Mercado said.

Apartment maintenance employees quickly shut off the power, which kept the fire small and ultimately caused little damage to the area.

An investigator was on scene, Mercado said, and no injuries resulted from the incident.

Noozhawk staff writer Lara Cooper can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.




comments powered by Disqus

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made through PayPal below, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments.

Thank you for your vital support.

 

Daily Noozhawk

Subscribe to Noozhawk's A.M. Report, our free e-Bulletin sent out every day at 4:15 a.m. with Noozhawk's top stories, hand-picked by the editors.