Santa Maria officials say a clogged filter vent on a dryer caused a structure fire Thursday evening at 2346 Mon Chere.

Acting Battalion Chief Leonard Champion said crews were called to the home about 6:30 p.m.

Three engines, a truck company and a battalion chief arrived on scene, finding light smoke coming from the single-story residence. Champion said no one was inside the structure at the time.

He said crews contained the small fire to the dryer in a washroom. Smoke was cleared from the structure and light overhaul performed.

He said damage was estimated at $1,000.

Noozhawk managing editor Michelle Nelson can be reached at Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.