Wednesday, February 21 , 2018, 3:04 am | A Few Clouds 48º

 
 
 
 

New Principal to Take Helm at Santa Barbara Community Academy

Eric Nichols will replace Amy Alzina, who will become principal at Adams Elementary

Eric Nichols, former elementary school teacher, teacher of the year in Fontana and currently assistant principal in the Los Angeles County Office of Education, will join the Santa Barbara School District on July 1 as the new principal of Santa Barbara Community Academy.

Article Image
Eric Nichols

He will replace Amy Alzina, who will assume the principal position at Adams Elementary School.

“I am very excited and honored to be selected as the new principal of Santa Barbara Community Academy. Knowing all the amazing work that Mrs. Alzina has done, I want to build on her accomplishments and take the students and staff above and beyond their utmost potential. I am eager to enhance the curriculum and instruction by infusing technology in the classrooms,” Nichols said. “Since I believe that nine-tenths of education is encouragement, I want to empower the staff, students, and parents to be successful as they can be. I look forward to continuing to make Santa Barbara Community Academy the most positive learning environment and to develop our students’ knowledge, skills and character.

“Eric is recognized for high expectations for students, close working relationships with parents and staff, focus on academic rigor and effective utilization of data,” Superintendent Brian Sarvis said. “His high energy level and a collaborative nature will serve the culture of the academy well.”

As a small school, the academy principal position is a 75 percent position. Nichols also will carry leadership responsibility for district use of Edusoft, a Web-based student assessment management system, for the remaining 25 percent of his time. His salary will be $98,428 to $110,633.

The Santa Barbara Community Academy, a year-round school at 850 Portesuello Ave., serves 286 students in kindergarten through sixth grade.

— Barbara Keyani is the administrative services and communications coordinator for the Santa Barbara School District.

  • Ask
  • Vote
  • Investigate
  • Answer

Noozhawk Asks: What’s Your Question?

Welcome to Noozhawk Asks, a new feature in which you ask the questions, you help decide what Noozhawk investigates, and you work with us to find the answers.

Here’s how it works: You share your questions with us in the nearby box. In some cases, we may work with you to find the answers. In others, we may ask you to vote on your top choices to help us narrow the scope. And we’ll be regularly asking you for your feedback on a specific issue or topic.

We also expect to work together with the reader who asked the winning questions to find the answer together. Noozhawk’s objective is to come at questions from a place of curiosity and openness, and we believe a transparent collaboration is the key to achieve it.

The results of our investigation will be published here in this Noozhawk Asks section. Once or twice a month, we plan to do a review of what was asked and answered.

Thanks for asking!

Click here to get started >

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made through PayPal below, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments.

Thank you for your vital support.



Reader Comments

Noozhawk is no longer accepting reader comments on our articles. Click here for the announcement. Readers are instead invited to submit letters to the editor by emailing them to [email protected]. Please provide your full name and community, as well as contact information for verification purposes only.

Daily Noozhawk

Subscribe to Noozhawk's A.M. Report, our free e-Bulletin sent out every day at 4:15 a.m. with Noozhawk's top stories, hand-picked by the editors.

Sign Up Now >