Pixel Tracker

Monday, December 10 , 2018, 2:48 pm | Mostly Cloudy 62º


Outdoors Q&A: California Hunting Opportunities

Read on for answers to your questions about state regulations on hunting and fishing.

Question: I need to know where I can legally hunt with a rifle besides on national forests and BLM lands. This simple question has led to a lifetime supply of aspirin and a list of “we don’t know, you should try ...” responses coming from every agency I’ve asked. I’m sure many other people have felt the same agony of the situation. I live in the Inland Empire region, where there are hundreds of undeveloped nonprivate lands far from urban areas, roads, homes and structures. Which of these sections of land permit lawful hunting? (Matt T.)

Article Image
Carrie Wilson
Answer: Whether you’re hunting in California or another state, your rifle hunting is limited to either public land areas or private property where permission must be obtained. This is the same in every state. A number of agencies manage lands that allow hunting, including some you mentioned such as the U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Land Management. Some military bases, such as Camp Roberts and Fort Hunter Liggett, also allow public hunting, as do some California Department of Fish & Game properties.

Many public lands that allow multiple uses also allow hunting. According to game warden Todd Tognazzi, private property in California is required to be designated in one of the following ways: posted with no trespassing signs at third-mile intervals, under cultivation or fenced. You can determine land ownership from map resources at a local library, at many different Web sites or through the county assessor’s office. An agency is only going to have information on the land under its management, so it is important to research the land you are describing.

The best resource I know of is our summer 2008 edition of the California Hunting Digest available from most DFG offices. On pages 18-19, there’s a short article titled “Public Lands Open for Hunting in California.” Although it doesn’t list every land, it lists every land management agency that allows hunting, along with their Web sites and other contact info.

California Hunting Digest editor Lorna Bernard also suggests a Web site she found while researching this topic. It’s for a nonprofit organization called the Public Lands Information Center. It offers a free searchable database of public lands throughout the United States. You can enter the term “hunting” and click on California, and it will provide a list of every California public land that allows hunting. The Web address is www.publiclands.org. Since it’s not a DFG Web site, we can’t vouch for its accuracy or completeness, but it’s the best we’ve found so far.

Some additional resources the DFG can offer include our quail, wild pig, turkey and deer hunting guides. These guides are a few years old but still contain good information on how to hunt these species, and often where access can be found. It also comes with many pages of maps and directions. Some access points may have changed, but they will still give you reasonable starting points.

All of these DFG publications are available through most DFG offices or may be downloaded them from www.dfg.ca.gov/about/hunting/. This whole page is useful, and the hunting guides can be found on the right-hand column.

In addition to the public lands mentioned already, you may want to consider joining a private hunting club, such as Wilderness Unlimited, which holds leases on multiple public properties around the state for their members to access for hunting and fishing.

Many good rifle hunting spots are available throughout California on public lands. Hopefully, these resources will help you continue to enjoy your California hunting experiences.

Question: How do you control rattlesnakes in a school setting? (Ayatu O.)

Answer: The following are recommendations from game warden Kyle Chang:

» Clear all brush and tall grasses in the area in places where snakes might hide and take refuge.

» If there are perimeter fences in the area, use quarter-inch-square wire all along the perimeter fence about 3 feet high flashed to the ground to also prevent rodents from digging under.

» Hire a pest removal company to check under buildings and behind areas for any snakes that may be hiding.

» Keep all food sources and trash that may be attractants to rodents closed/sealed to prevent “snake food” sources from coming around, attracting snakes by scent.

» Make students aware of a potential snake problem in the area.

» Make the students aware of what rattlesnakes look like in comparison to other, nonvenomous snakes. A good Web site with lots of identification and educational information on snakes can be found at www.californiaherps.com/index.html.

Click here for more information on controlling snakes around home or school settings.

Question: Our grandchildren will be visiting at the end of August, and we would love to have them experience the phenomenon of a grunion run. How can we get information on expected grunion runs? (Peg and Tom G., Ventura)

Answer: You should be able to find all of the grunion information you’ll need from our Web site at www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/grnindx3.asp. Predicted grunion runs are also available in most tide books.

Carrie Wilson is a marine biologist with the California Department of Fish & Game. Her DFG-related question-and-answer column appears weekly at www.dfg.ca.gov/QandA/. She can be reached at [email protected]

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made using a credit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments and a mailing address for checks.

Thank you for your vital support.

Become a Noozhawk Supporter

First name
Last name
Select your monthly membership
Or choose an annual membership

Payment Information

Membership Subscription

You are enrolling in . Thank you for joining the Hawks Club.

Payment Method

Pay by Credit Card:

Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover
One click only, please!

Pay with Apple Pay or Google Pay:

Noozhawk partners with Stripe to provide secure invoicing and payments processing.
You may cancel your membership at any time by sending an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

  • Ask
  • Vote
  • Investigate
  • Answer

Noozhawk Asks: What’s Your Question?

Welcome to Noozhawk Asks, a new feature in which you ask the questions, you help decide what Noozhawk investigates, and you work with us to find the answers.

Here’s how it works: You share your questions with us in the nearby box. In some cases, we may work with you to find the answers. In others, we may ask you to vote on your top choices to help us narrow the scope. And we’ll be regularly asking you for your feedback on a specific issue or topic.

We also expect to work together with the reader who asked the winning questions to find the answer together. Noozhawk’s objective is to come at questions from a place of curiosity and openness, and we believe a transparent collaboration is the key to achieve it.

The results of our investigation will be published here in this Noozhawk Asks section. Once or twice a month, we plan to do a review of what was asked and answered.

Thanks for asking!

Click Here to Get Started >

Reader Comments

Noozhawk is no longer accepting reader comments on our articles. Click here for the announcement. Readers are instead invited to submit letters to the editor by emailing them to [email protected]. Please provide your full name and community, as well as contact information for verification purposes only.

Daily Noozhawk

Subscribe to Noozhawk's A.M. Report, our free e-Bulletin sent out every day at 4:15 a.m. with Noozhawk's top stories, hand-picked by the editors.

Sign Up Now >