Pixel Tracker

Tuesday, February 19 , 2019, 8:15 pm | Fair 49º

 
 
 
 

Santa Barbara Rescue Mission Reopens Learning Center

Thanks to a big gift from Santa Barbara Bank & Trust, Mission residents have new computers to aid with their education.

Article Image
Key figures in a photo opportunity are, from left, Santa Barbara Rescue Mission resident Eric Johnston, Rescue Mission president Rolf Geyling, board chairman Karl Willig, Santa Barbara Bank & Trust president and CEO George Leis and Learning Center supervisor Emily Ricter. (Randy Weiss / Santa Barbara Bank & Trust photo)

The Santa Barbara Rescue Mission celebrated its newly revamped Learning Center at its 535 E. Yanonali St. campus Thursday. The center showcased its new computer stations provided by Santa Barbara Bank & Trust, which benefits the Mission’s 12-month residential treatment program.

“The new computers provided an opportunity to make other improvements; it is a rebirth of the Learning Center,” said Rolf Geyling, president of the nonprofit Santa Barbara Rescue Mission.

Eric Johnston, a resident of the 12-month residential treatment program, spoke about his use of the computers to learn a diagnostics program aiding in the development of an automotive business as his new career.

“We hope the bank’s gift makes life a little easier for the Rescue Mission’s clients and staff in developing and teaching proficient computer skills for successful transition to the workforce,” said George S. Leis, president and CEO of Santa Barbara Bank & Trust. A plaque was presented to Leis in honor of the bank’s capital investment in the Learning Center.

The Rescue Mission, which was established in 1965, has already achieved impressive results. Nearly 96 percent of its residents are employed as they graduate. The other 4 percent are either planning to relocate or attend college full time.

Rebecca Wilson is the Santa Barbara Rescue Mission‘s communications and constituent relations director.

Talk to Us!

Please take Noozhawk's audience survey to help us understand what you expect — and want — from us. It'll take you just a few minutes. Thank you!

Get Started >

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made using a credit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments and a mailing address for checks.

Thank you for your vital support.

Become a Noozhawk Supporter

First name
Last name
Email
Select your monthly membership
Or choose an annual membership
×

Payment Information

Membership Subscription

You are enrolling in . Thank you for joining the Hawks Club.

Payment Method

Pay by Credit Card:

Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover
One click only, please!

Pay with Apple Pay or Google Pay:

Noozhawk partners with Stripe to provide secure invoicing and payments processing.
You may cancel your membership at any time by sending an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

  • Ask
  • Vote
  • Investigate
  • Answer

Noozhawk Asks: What’s Your Question?

Welcome to Noozhawk Asks, a new feature in which you ask the questions, you help decide what Noozhawk investigates, and you work with us to find the answers.

Here’s how it works: You share your questions with us in the nearby box. In some cases, we may work with you to find the answers. In others, we may ask you to vote on your top choices to help us narrow the scope. And we’ll be regularly asking you for your feedback on a specific issue or topic.

We also expect to work together with the reader who asked the winning questions to find the answer together. Noozhawk’s objective is to come at questions from a place of curiosity and openness, and we believe a transparent collaboration is the key to achieve it.

The results of our investigation will be published here in this Noozhawk Asks section. Once or twice a month, we plan to do a review of what was asked and answered.

Thanks for asking!

Click Here to Get Started >

Reader Comments

Noozhawk is no longer accepting reader comments on our articles. Click here for the announcement. Readers are instead invited to submit letters to the editor by emailing them to [email protected]. Please provide your full name and community, as well as contact information for verification purposes only.

Daily Noozhawk

Subscribe to Noozhawk's A.M. Report, our free e-Bulletin sent out every day at 4:15 a.m. with Noozhawk's top stories, hand-picked by the editors.

Sign Up Now >