Thursday, July 19 , 2018, 1:25 am | Fair 65º

 
 
 
 

Local News

60% Chance of Rain in Forecast for Tuesday; Sandbag Stations Open

Storm will test effectiveness of aerial hydromulching project in Santa Barbara foothills

Rain is forecast this week, providing an early test for aerial hydromulching that was dropped in the Santa Barbara foothills burned in the Jesusita Fire.

The worst of the change in weather is expected Tuesday and Wednesday. A 40 percent chance of showers late Monday will increase to a 60 percent chance of rain by Tuesday afternoon and will continue into late afternoon Wednesday. Tuesday should be breezy, with winds of 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph in the afternoon. Gusts of up to 40 mph are likely. Temperatures on Tuesday and Wednesday should be in the upper 50s to low 60s along the South Coast.

Monday, Columbus Day, will be mostly cloudy, with patchy morning drizzle and highs in the upper 50s to mid-60s.

The rain is expected to clear out by Thursday, which will be partly cloudy in the morning before clearing. High temperatures around 70 are expected, with weekend temperatures forecast in the mid-70s.

Sandbag stations are open for residents, and there is no limit on the number residents may take. Residents must fill sandbags themselves and bring their own gloves. Contractors will not be allowed to take sandbags.

Sandbag stations are open at the following locations and times:

» County Fire Station 11, 6901 Frey Way in Goleta; open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

» County Fire Station 14, 320 Los Carneros Road in Goleta; open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

» County Corporate Yard, 4430 Calle Real in Santa Barbara, next to Transfer Station; open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

» Santa Barbara Botanical Garden parking lot, 1212 Mission Canyon Road; open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

» Montecito Fire Station No. 2, 595 San Ysidro Road; open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

» Northerly Terminus of Tunnel Road; open 24 hours a day, seven days a week

» City of Santa Barbara Annex Yard, 401 E. Yanonali St.; open from 1 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday (the hours may be extended depending on weather conditions), and from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Tuesday through Friday.

Aerial hydromulching was applied to more than 1,000 acres in the Jesusita Fire burn area last week as Santa Barbara County completed its comprehensive Emergency Watershed Response Plan in preparation for the winter rainy season.

Weather permitting, the U.S. Forest Service this week is expected to begin aerial hydromulching on about 200 acres of Los Padres National Forest.

In May, the Jesusita Fire burned about 8,700 acres as it raged above Santa Barbara, forcing the evacuation of more than 30,000 residents. The wildfire scorched several important watersheds and wildlife areas, placing them at risk for increased amounts of debris, sediment and runoff.

The hydromulching project is part of an overall winter preparedness plan the county expects to complete by midmonth. County spokesman William Boyer said crews have completed or are almost finished with stream clearing of watercourses; construction of debris racks; removal of rock deposits on Mission Creek; and clearing existing debris basins.

Noozhawk publisher Bill Macfadyen can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk.

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made through Stripe below, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments and a mailing address for checks.

Thank you for your vital support.

Become a Noozhawk Supporter

First name
Last name
Enter your email
Select your membership level
×

Payment Information

You are purchasing:

Payment Method

Pay by Credit Card:

Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover
One click only, please!

Pay with Apple Pay or Google Pay:

Noozhawk partners with Stripe to provide secure invoicing and payments processing.

  • Ask
  • Vote
  • Investigate
  • Answer

Noozhawk Asks: What’s Your Question?

Welcome to Noozhawk Asks, a new feature in which you ask the questions, you help decide what Noozhawk investigates, and you work with us to find the answers.

Here’s how it works: You share your questions with us in the nearby box. In some cases, we may work with you to find the answers. In others, we may ask you to vote on your top choices to help us narrow the scope. And we’ll be regularly asking you for your feedback on a specific issue or topic.

We also expect to work together with the reader who asked the winning questions to find the answer together. Noozhawk’s objective is to come at questions from a place of curiosity and openness, and we believe a transparent collaboration is the key to achieve it.

The results of our investigation will be published here in this Noozhawk Asks section. Once or twice a month, we plan to do a review of what was asked and answered.

Thanks for asking!

Click Here to Get Started >

Reader Comments

Noozhawk is no longer accepting reader comments on our articles. Click here for the announcement. Readers are instead invited to submit letters to the editor by emailing them to [email protected]. Please provide your full name and community, as well as contact information for verification purposes only.

Daily Noozhawk

Subscribe to Noozhawk's A.M. Report, our free e-Bulletin sent out every day at 4:15 a.m. with Noozhawk's top stories, hand-picked by the editors.

Sign Up Now >