Friday, December 2 , 2016, 12:50 pm | Fair 62º


Community Action Commission Regains Federal Head Start Funding

Fran Forman, executive director of the Community Action Commission, has announced the reinstatement of federal funds that were cut in last year’s “sequester” to CAC’s Santa Barbara County Head Start program.

Funds were restored to Head Start in the new federal budget, which was passed by the Senate on Jan. 16.

CAC Head Start can now begin serving the 53 children in Santa Barbara County who were cut from the program in 2013. The majority of the 53 restored spaces for children will be in the Santa Maria and Lompoc areas, where the program has the longest waiting lists.

Head Start serves a total of 1,098 children countywide, and ensures that each year over 600 children enter kindergarten prepared to learn. The program places great emphasis on the parents’ role in supporting their children’s education.

Federal funds cover 80 percent of the cost of a Head Start education. The remaining 20 percent must be raised locally, and include the value of volunteer time. The program offers full-day programs for working parents as well as part-day preschool programs.

Mattie Gadsby, director of CAC Children’s Services, said, “I would like to thank our many supporters who let Congress know how important the program is to families and children. Our local supporters also contacted the program during the sequester, asking how they could help — and parents increased their volunteer hours to make sure that centers were clean and in good repair, among other contributions of time and talent.”

“We are grateful that our community and Congress saw this as a priority investment," Forman said.

CAC is a private, nonprofit agency serving over 10,000 low-income people annually through a variety of programs designed to help Santa Barbara County families achieve stability.

For more information, contact Gadsby at 805.964.8857 x156.

— Elizabeth Lee is a grant writer for the Community Action Commission.

Reader Comments

Noozhawk's intent is not to limit the discussion of our stories but to elevate it. Comments should be relevant and must be free of profanity and abusive language and attacks.

By posting on Noozhawk, you:

» Agree to be respectful. Noozhawk encourages intelligent and impassioned discussion and debate, but now has a zero-tolerance policy for those who cannot express their opinions in a civil manner.

» Agree not to use Noozhawk’s forums for personal attacks. This includes any sort of personal attack — including, but not limited to, the people in our stories, the journalists who create these stories, fellow readers who comment on our stories, or anyone else in our community.

» Agree not to post on Noozhawk any comments that can be construed as libelous, defamatory, obscene, profane, vulgar, harmful, threatening, tortious, harassing, abusive, hateful, sexist, racially or ethnically objectionable, or that are invasive of another’s privacy.

» Agree not to post in a manner than emulates, purports or pretends to be someone else. Under no circumstances are readers posting to Noozhawk to knowingly use the name or identity of another person, whether that is another reader on this site, a public figure, celebrity, elected official or fictitious character. This also means readers will not knowingly give out any personal information of other members of these forums.

» Agree not to solicit others. You agree you will not use Noozhawk’s forums to solicit and/or advertise for personal blogs and websites, without Noozhawk’s express written approval.

Noozhawk’s management and editors, in our sole discretion, retain the right to remove individual posts or to revoke the access privileges of anyone who we believe has violated any of these terms or any other term of this agreement; however, we are under no obligation to do so.

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made through PayPal below, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments.

Thank you for your vital support.

Daily Noozhawk

Subscribe to Noozhawk's A.M. Report, our free e-Bulletin sent out every day at 4:15 a.m. with Noozhawk's top stories, hand-picked by the editors.

Sign Up Now >