Pixel Tracker

Monday, February 18 , 2019, 4:30 am | Fair 46º

 
 
 
 

Light Rain, Cold to Continue through Tuesday Night

Homeless warming shelters activated until Wednesday; gale-force winds expected in Santa Barbara Channel on Tuesday

Light rain is in the forecast through Tuesday night with colder temperatures expected all week. Organizers of local warming centers serving the homeless have announced that the overnight shelters will be open through Wednesday morning.

The National Weather Service said a cool and unsettled pattern of weather will prevail across the region through Tuesday night, bringing scattered showers and gale-force winds in the Santa Barbara Channel on Tuesday.

Monday should be partly sunny, but with a 40 percent chance of rain, increasing to 60 percent Monday night. A 50 percent chance of rain is forecast for Tuesday. Daytime temperatures are only expected to reach about 60 degrees Monday and Tuesday with overnight lows in the 40s.

The weather service warned that the Santa Barbara Channel and the Central Coast are likely to experience gale-force winds Tuesday. Forecasters say the winds could generate large and very steep and hazardous seas near shore. Onshore, the South Coast will likely be swept by winds of 10 to 20 mph, with gusts to 25 mph.

Beginning on Wednesday, sunshine is expected to return to the area, with daytime temperatures climbing to the mid-60s.

Maria Long, a spokeswoman for the warming centers that provide the homeless with shelter from the inclement weather, said the centers will be open from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. The shelters are located at Bridge House Shelter, 2025 Sweeney Road in Lompoc; First Presbyterian Church of Santa Barbara, 21 E. Constance St.; Good Samaritan Shelter, 401 W. Morrison Road, Suite B, in Santa Maria; and Korean United Methodist Church, 892 Embarcadero del Sur in Isla Vista.

Long said a shelter will be open at the Unitarian Society of Santa Barbara, 1535 Santa Barbara St., on Christmas Eve and the night of Christmas Day, rain or shine.

» Click here for the complete National Weather Service forecast.

» Click here for the Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Services. Click here to sign up for the OES’ messaging service. Connect with the OES on Facebook.

Noozhawk publisher Bill Macfadyen can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.

Talk to Us!

Please take Noozhawk's audience survey to help us understand what you expect — and want — from us. It'll take you just a few minutes. Thank you!

Get Started >

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made using a credit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments and a mailing address for checks.

Thank you for your vital support.

Become a Noozhawk Supporter

First name
Last name
Email
Select your monthly membership
Or choose an annual membership
×

Payment Information

Membership Subscription

You are enrolling in . Thank you for joining the Hawks Club.

Payment Method

Pay by Credit Card:

Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover
One click only, please!

Pay with Apple Pay or Google Pay:

Noozhawk partners with Stripe to provide secure invoicing and payments processing.
You may cancel your membership at any time by sending an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

  • Ask
  • Vote
  • Investigate
  • Answer

Noozhawk Asks: What’s Your Question?

Welcome to Noozhawk Asks, a new feature in which you ask the questions, you help decide what Noozhawk investigates, and you work with us to find the answers.

Here’s how it works: You share your questions with us in the nearby box. In some cases, we may work with you to find the answers. In others, we may ask you to vote on your top choices to help us narrow the scope. And we’ll be regularly asking you for your feedback on a specific issue or topic.

We also expect to work together with the reader who asked the winning questions to find the answer together. Noozhawk’s objective is to come at questions from a place of curiosity and openness, and we believe a transparent collaboration is the key to achieve it.

The results of our investigation will be published here in this Noozhawk Asks section. Once or twice a month, we plan to do a review of what was asked and answered.

Thanks for asking!

Click Here to Get Started >

Reader Comments

Noozhawk is no longer accepting reader comments on our articles. Click here for the announcement. Readers are instead invited to submit letters to the editor by emailing them to [email protected]. Please provide your full name and community, as well as contact information for verification purposes only.