Thursday, November 15 , 2018, 2:57 am | Fair 44º

 
 
 
 

Montecito Fire Protection District Releases Christmas Tree Safety Tips

After a Montecito estate fire that investigators suspect started in a Christmas tree, authorities remind people to be careful with holiday decorations

A tree in flames during a demonstration at the annual Solvang Christmas Tree Burn. Click to view larger
A tree in flames during a demonstration at the annual Solvang Christmas Tree Burn.  (Mike Eliason / Santa Barbara County Fire Department photo)

With Christmas around the counter, ensuring a fire-safe holiday season tops the wish list of local fire crews.

A blaze that investigators believe started in a Christmas tree at a Montecito estate on Sunday night has sparked the Montecito Fire Protection District to remind residents to take precautions for tree and holiday decorations safety. 

Trees can be a primary source of fuel in a fire, according to Joyce Reed, a spokeswoman for the district. 

Christmas trees were the item first ignited in an estimated average of 210 reported home structure fires annually, resulting in an average of six civilian deaths and 16 civilian fire injuries each year, and $16.2 million in property damage, according to the U. S. Fire Administration’s National Fire Incident Reporting System and the National Fire Protection Association in 2010-2014.

Fire officials recommend the following precautions:

» Unlike incandescent bulbs, which generate most of their energy in heat, LEDs are cool to the touch — which also indicates greater energy-efficiency. LEDs are made with epoxy lenses, not glass, and are more durable. 

» When hanging lights outdoors, use a wooden or fiberglass ladder. 

» Never connect more than three strands of incandescent lights together. 

» Inspect each electrical decoration for cracked or damaged sockets, loose or bare wires, or loose connections, which may cause a serious shock or start a fire. 

» Follow the manufacturer’s use and care instructions that accompany electrical decorations. 

» Avoid overloading electrical outlets with too many decorations or electrical devices. They can overheat and cause a fire. 

» Do not use an extension cord to plug in a power strip. Instead, use a strip that will reach directly to the outlet. 

» Make sure that cords are not pinched in doors, windows, or under heavy furniture, which could damage the cord’s insulation. 

» Do not mount or support light strings in a way that might damage the cord’s insulation. 

» Always unplug electrical decorations before replacing bulbs or fuses. 

» Turn off all indoor and outdoor electrical decorations before leaving home or going to sleep. 

» Never drape anything over a light bulb or lamp shade. 

» Avoid using candles when possible. Consider using battery-operated candles in place of traditional candles. 

» Never leave an open flame unattended. Keep burning candles within sight. 

» Extinguish all candles before you leave the room or go to bed. 

» Place lighted candles away from combustible material and areas where they might be knocked over. 

» Never use lighted candles on a tree or near other evergreens. 

» Keep candles away from other decorations and wrapping paper. Do not burn wrapping paper as a means of disposal. 

The district also provided these safety guidelines to help prevent electrical and fire hazards:

» When purchasing a tree, check for freshness. A fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree. 

» Cut 1-2 inches from the base of the trunk immediately before placing the tree in the stand and filling with water to ensure water absorption. 

» Because heated rooms dry out live trees rapidly, be sure to keep the stand filled with water by refilling daily. 

» When purchasing an artificial tree, look for a “fire resistant” label, which indicates that the tree is more resistant to burning.

» Don’t use electrical ornaments or light strings on artificial trees with metallic leaves or branch coverings. 

» Place your tree at least 3 feet away from all heat sources, including fireplaces, radiators, and space heaters. 

» When decorating a tree, only use non-combustible or flame-resistant materials. 

Noozhawk staff writer Brooke Holland can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.

A structure fire that may have started in a Christmas tree damaged an estate on Cold Springs Road in Montecito late Sunday. Click to view larger
A structure fire that may have started in a Christmas tree damaged an estate on Cold Springs Road in Montecito late Sunday. (Urban Hikers / Noozhawk photo)

Support Noozhawk Today

You are an important ally in our mission to deliver clear, objective, high-quality professional news reporting for Santa Barbara, Goleta and the rest of Santa Barbara County. Join the Hawks Club today to help keep Noozhawk soaring.

We offer four membership levels: $5 a month, $10 a month, $25 a month or $1 a week. Payments can be made using a credit card, Apple Pay or Google Pay, or click here for information on recurring credit-card payments and a mailing address for checks.

Thank you for your vital support.

Become a Noozhawk Supporter

First name
Last name
Email
Select your monthly membership
Or choose an annual membership
×

Payment Information

Membership Subscription

You are enrolling in . Thank you for joining the Hawks Club.

Payment Method

Pay by Credit Card:

Mastercard, Visa, American Express, Discover
One click only, please!

Pay with Apple Pay or Google Pay:

Noozhawk partners with Stripe to provide secure invoicing and payments processing.
You may cancel your membership at any time by sending an email to .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).

  • Ask
  • Vote
  • Investigate
  • Answer

Noozhawk Asks: What’s Your Question?

Welcome to Noozhawk Asks, a new feature in which you ask the questions, you help decide what Noozhawk investigates, and you work with us to find the answers.

Here’s how it works: You share your questions with us in the nearby box. In some cases, we may work with you to find the answers. In others, we may ask you to vote on your top choices to help us narrow the scope. And we’ll be regularly asking you for your feedback on a specific issue or topic.

We also expect to work together with the reader who asked the winning questions to find the answer together. Noozhawk’s objective is to come at questions from a place of curiosity and openness, and we believe a transparent collaboration is the key to achieve it.

The results of our investigation will be published here in this Noozhawk Asks section. Once or twice a month, we plan to do a review of what was asked and answered.

Thanks for asking!

Click Here to Get Started >

Reader Comments

Noozhawk is no longer accepting reader comments on our articles. Click here for the announcement. Readers are instead invited to submit letters to the editor by emailing them to [email protected]. Please provide your full name and community, as well as contact information for verification purposes only.