Pixel Tracker

Tuesday, March 19 , 2019, 6:53 pm | Overcast 56º


Scattered Rain Expected through Midweek with Gale-Force Winds Possible in the Santa Barbara Channel

More rain is in the forecast this week as a series of storms makes its way through Santa Barbara County. Gale-force winds are possible in the Santa Barbara Channel on Tuesday and Wednesday.

The National Weather Service said a cool and unsettled pattern of weather will prevail across the region through midweek. The South Coast has a 30 percent chance of rain Sunday and Monday, but Tuesday’s probability of rain rises to 70 percent, forecasters say.

Daytime temperatures are only expected in the low 60s, with overnight lows in the 40s.

Beginning on Wednesday, sunshine is expected to return to the area, with daytime temperatures climbing to the mid-60s.

The weather service warned that the Santa Barbara Channel and the Central Coast are likely to experience gale-force winds Tuesday and Wednesday. Forecasters say the winds could generate large and very steep and hazardous seas near shore.

Snow levels from the new storms generally will be between 4,000 and 5,000 feet, forecasters said, although locally the snow level could fall as low as 3,500 feet.

The snow could affect Interstate 5 road conditions on the Grapevine through the Tejon Pass north of Los Angeles, which may mean heavier traffic on Highway 101 through Santa Barbara.

» Click here for the complete National Weather Service forecast.

» Click here for the Santa Barbara County Office of Emergency Services. Click here to sign up for the OES’ messaging service. Connect with the OES on Facebook.

Noozhawk publisher Bill Macfadyen can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.

Support Noozhawk Today!

Our professional journalists work tirelessly to report on local news so you can be more informed and engaged in your community. This quality, local reporting is free for you to read and share, but it's not free to produce.

You count on us to deliver timely, relevant local news, 24/7. Can we count on you to invest in our newsroom and help secure its future?

We provide special member benefits to show how much we appreciate your support.

I would like give...
Great! You're joining as a Red-Tailed Hawk!
  • Ask
  • Vote
  • Investigate
  • Answer

Noozhawk Asks: What’s Your Question?

Welcome to Noozhawk Asks, a new feature in which you ask the questions, you help decide what Noozhawk investigates, and you work with us to find the answers.

Here’s how it works: You share your questions with us in the nearby box. In some cases, we may work with you to find the answers. In others, we may ask you to vote on your top choices to help us narrow the scope. And we’ll be regularly asking you for your feedback on a specific issue or topic.

We also expect to work together with the reader who asked the winning questions to find the answer together. Noozhawk’s objective is to come at questions from a place of curiosity and openness, and we believe a transparent collaboration is the key to achieve it.

The results of our investigation will be published here in this Noozhawk Asks section. Once or twice a month, we plan to do a review of what was asked and answered.

Thanks for asking!

Click Here to Get Started >

Reader Comments

Noozhawk is no longer accepting reader comments on our articles. Click here for the announcement. Readers are instead invited to submit letters to the editor by emailing them to [email protected]. Please provide your full name and community, as well as contact information for verification purposes only.