Noozhawk’s ParentNooz Camp Guide is officially here and we made sure to make things easy when planning your child’s summer!
UPDATE: *Camps may be subject to change due to COVID-19. Check website for updates.
Question: What is the name of your Summer Camp or Program and what is its mission?
Answer: Cate Summer Programs offers 4 different camps for various ages and interests.
– Cate Summer Institute generates excitement for academics and the outdoors through creative learning, out-of-the-box thinking, and inclusivity of all people, ideas, and cultures. We empower our students to build confidence in their own abilities and appreciate the differences of others.
– Cate Sports Academy provides a constructive sports camp culture, placing an emphasis on both athletic advancement and personal development. We encourage young athletes to achieve the ultimate goal of taking one’s self to the next level while developing a lasting love for the game.
– Cate Summer Outdoor promotes a love of outdoors through outdoor exploration and activity. We find creative ways to build trust and kindness within the community and a greater respect for the environment, people, ideas and cultures. We empower our students to build confidence in their own abilities and appreciate the differences of others.
– Cate Summer Mini promotes a love of learning through exploration and activity. We believe children learn through play. While engaged in play, children are not only expressing their creative nature, they are making discoveries in their environment and attaching meaning to their discoveries. They are associating words with objects, building on their vocabulary, and stimulating cognitive growth.
Q: Describe the activities involved in your camp or program.
A: – Cate Summer Institute is a week residential camp devoted to academics, leadership, and the outdoors with days full of excitement, experiential education, making friends from around the world, experiencing the ropes course, and sleeping in dorms overlooking the Pacific.
– Cate Sport Academy offers tennis, basketball, baseball, boys’ and girls’ lacrosse, volleyball, and softball which are all led by experienced coaches. We believe in a unified sports camp culture so regardless of your chosen sport, you will interact with all athletes during mealtimes, group activities and in the dorms to foster friendships and a sense of community during your time on the Mesa.
– Cate Summer Outdoors campers will enjoy all the natural beauty Santa Barbara County has to offer while challenging themselves with activities such as stand up SUP, kayaking, hiking, mountain biking, surfing, and ropes course. Urban Hiking offers campers the opportunity to learn about urban planning, route mapping, and street. As we explore each new neighborhood, we will find creative ways to build trust and kindness within the community.
– Cate Summer Mini offers specialized instruction from our experienced and licensed preschool teachers, hands-on activities, and on-site field trips at Cate School, children will think, create, and explore the world around them. Our Summer weekly themes provide children with the opportunity to do something they love or try something new and think outside of the box.
Q: What is the age range for children in your camp or program?
A: Cate Summer Institute is for current 6th and 7th graders. Cate Sports Academy offers half day for grades 3-5, full day for grades 3-11 and overnight for grades 6-11. Cate Summer Outdoors is for current 6th – 10th graders. Cate Summer Mini is for preschool children age 3-5.
Q: How many years has the camp been running? Do you get a lot of return campers?
A: Cate Summer Institute started around 8 years as a very small program. Over the last four summers we have seen CSI really thrive. This year will mark our fifth camp season for Cate Summer Institute and Cate Sports Academy. Cate Summer Outdoors is in its fourth summer and Cate Summer Mini was established just last year. We see many return campers and several that have aged out and wish they could return.
Q: What goals do you have for kids participating in your camp or program?
A: In all of our summer camps, we want kids to walk away with confidence, skills learned, and new friendships made. We are proud to bring the spirit of Cate School into the summer and share our beautiful campus with kids from across the U.S. and around the world.
Q: What makes your camp or program unique?
A: Cate Summer Programs are unique because it provides the opportunity to make friends from around the world, live on Cate’s beautiful campus overlooking the Pacific Ocean and be a part of a caring and inclusive camp culture.
Q: How do you hire staff for your camp and when hired, is there a training that they have to complete before the camp begins?
A: Majority of our staff are Cate faculty, and current or former Cate students. Each program has its own counselor training prior to the start of camp to make sure everyone feels empowered and well equipped to handle the weeks ahead.
Q: What is the best part, in your opinion, about your camp or program?.
A: Cate School! We are a beautifully maintained boarding high school campus, secluded on the top of a mesa overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We have a 24/7 attended guard gate at the bottom of the hill to promote campus safety and security. We have amazing teachers and students that are a big part of our Cate Summer Programs and make each day special for the campers. Our dining hall provides high quality meal options and are able to accommodate allergy needs. The best days of summer happen at Cate!
Q: In what ways is your camp or program educational?
A: Cate Summer Institute is our residential academic program where students are immersed in an ambitious academic experience through small classes taught by highly regarded faculty. Feedback from campers allows us to adapt our programs each year based on their interest. Cate Summer Institute strives to maintains a high level of program quality by limiting enrollment.
Cate Summer Mini provides instruction from our experienced and licensed preschool teachers, hands-on activities, and on-site field trips at Cate School, children will think, create, and explore the world around them.
Q: What is the price range of your camp and do you offer scholarships?
A: -Cate Summer Institute – $1875 per week.
-Cate Sports Academy prices vary by sport and duration running between $195 to $895, please check our website for breakdown.
-Cate Summer Outdoors – $795 to $995 per week
-Cate Summer Mini – $300 per week
We do have financial aid available for our Cate Summer Institute, Cate Sports Academy and Cate Summer Outdoor.
Click here for more information about Cate School summer camps!