There are three days remaining to apply to be on a city of Goleta commission or committee. Applicants are still needed for Parks and Recreation youth commissioner, Library Advisory Commission, and Goleta Naming Committee. Applications are available here and are due by Friday, July 23, or until filled.

“We are looking for community members who want to share their skills with Goleta. Joining a commission or committee is a unique opportunity to be involved with the city and make a difference in the community you live. If you see anything that interests you, we encourage you to apply,” said Goleta City Clerk Deborah Lopez.

Goleta city residents, ages 15-21, who enjoy spending time in the city’s parks and open space are encouraged to apply for the Parks and Recreation youth commissioner position. The panel advises the City Council on all issues related to parks and recreational opportunities in Goleta. The Parks and Recreation Commission meets every two months on the first Wednesday of every even month.

Those interested in learning how libraries work and helping guide services in the greater Goleta Valley area might consider applying for the Library Advisory Commission, which meets at 6 p.m. the first Monday of each month.

There are two vacancies, one for the incorporated service area of the Goleta Valley, and one suggested by the Board of Supervisors and residents of the unincorporated service area of the Goleta Valley.

The Library Advisory Commission’s role is to increase citizen participation in library issues by analyzing the library’s needs, considering goals, anticipating future needs and problems, acting as a liaison, and helping to develop consensus for advisement to the Goleta Library Board of Trustees.

Those interested in naming city parks, facilities, open spaces and city buildings, can apply to serve as a member of the Goleta Naming Committee. Applicants must live in the city of Goleta.

All positions are compensated at the rate of $50 per meeting. The youth commissioner may choose to waive compensation and receive community service credit instead.

For more, visit or e-mail