In the wake of the horrific death of George Floyd, the Santa Barbara Association of Realtors and its members reconfirm our commitment to providing equal service, equal opportunities within the industry as professionals, and promoting equal opportunity for housing.
As stewards of the right to own, use and transfer private property, Realtors recognize our significant role in upholding the Fair Housing Act.
“The shocking, senseless death of George Floyd is tragic. Our deepest sympathies are with the Floyd family and other families who understand and feel this pain and grief,” said National Association of Realtors (NAR) President Vince Malta in a statement released to all 1.4 million members. “Our neighbors in the communities where we work and live across America should feel safe and free from discrimination.
“As longtime champions of fair housing, equality and inclusion are among NAR’s most cherished values. NAR is committed to leading the way on policies that address racial injustice and that build safe and inclusive communities. Building the future begins with equal access to housing and opportunity for all.”
The real estate community must actively contribute to reform and unification in our industry, and in our country, by listening and by working together to be a part of the solution to racial injustice.
To this end, Realtors affirm our responsibility to promote inclusion, acceptance, and equality by adopting and practicing the tenets of the Realtors Fair Housing Declaration:
“I agree to:
· Provide equal professional service without regard to the race, color, religion, gender (sex), disability (handicap), familial status, national origin, sexual orientation or gender identity of any prospective client, customer, or of the residents of any community.
· Keep informed about fair housing law and practices, improving my clients’ and customers’ opportunities and my business.
· Develop advertising that indicates that everyone is welcome and no one is excluded; expanding my client’s and customer’s opportunities to see, buy, or lease property.
· Inform my clients and customers about their rights and responsibilities under the fair housing laws by providing brochures and other information.
· Document my efforts to provide professional service, which will assist me in becoming a more responsive and successful Realtor.
· Refuse to tolerate non-compliance.
· Learn about those who are different from me, and celebrate those differences.
· Take a positive approach to fair housing practices and aspire to follow the spirit as well as the letter of the law.
· Develop and implement fair housing practices for my firm to carry out the spirit of this declaration.”
— Staci Caplan is the president of the Santa Barbara Association of Realtors. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.