Saturday, September 5 , 2015, 12:35 am | Fair 65.0º

Occupy Santa Barbara Protesters Arrested After Police Enforce Curfew, Park Closure

Eight people are booked into jail on misdemeanor charges after refusing officers' requests to leave the area; check out the video

Occupy Santa Barbara, like the worldwide movement, aims to create an avenue for community members to talk about problems and possible solutions.  (Lara Cooper / Noozhawk photo)

By Giana Magnoli, Noozhawk Staff Writer | @magnoli |

Eight protesters were arrested Tuesday night while participating in Occupy Santa Barbara in De la Guerra Plaza for being in the area past the 10 p.m. curfew, the Santa Barbara Police Department confirmed Wednesday.

Video shot at the scene shows a crowd of Santa Barbara police officers asking people to leave the park — a raised island of grass surrounded by a street, City Hall and business buildings that is categorized as a city park — or risk being cited or arrested.

“I implore you, I’m going to give you one more opportunity to leave the park,” one sergeant is heard saying on the video after a police van pulls up.

The city administrator and city attorney’s offices directed police to take a “very measured response to enforce the existing municipal codes,” Sgt. Riley Harwood said.

Park closure times are specified as 10 p.m. to sunrise.

The city attorney’s office drafted warning notices that were distributed around 6 p.m. Tuesday, and 20 officers arrived at De la Guerra Plaza at 11:40 p.m.

Harwood said city administrators were concerned about long-term camping, sanitation and other damaging effects to the park, and determined it would be best to enforce the municipal codes.

“It’s important to apply the municipal code fairly and evenly to everyone,” he said.

Eight people refused to leave the park, including one woman who received a citation but then ripped it up, apparently changing her mind, according to Harwood. He said everyone was given the option to leave, get a citation or be arrested and booked at the County Jail on a misdemeanor charge.

“There was kind of a core contingency, so to speak, of folks remaining in the park,” Harwood said. “They kind of wanted to do that as part of their civil disobedience and getting the message out.”

The video shows officers holding dozens of plastic zip ties, now familiar to anyone who has seen pictures or footage of the mass arrests of the Occupy Wall Street movement when protesters tried to march across the Brooklyn Bridge.

Protesters shouted in support of the First Amendment right to peacefully assemble.

“One hundred and fifty cities and no cops have stopped it. You’re going to be the first ones!” someone shouted.

Several protesters had their hands bound and were taken to the police van, while others merely stepped off the grass, crossed the street and stood on the public sidewalk. Two people chained themselves to objects, and the Santa Barbara City Fire Department had to use the Jaws of Life to disable one of the chains, police said.

Arrested were Mariah Klusmire, 21; Randy Ramirez, 24; Annmarie Telfer, 24; Alex Chabbott, 31; Keith Keiper, 23; Edward Glenwright,21; Robert Villegas, 27; and Angelina Ward, 18. They were all booked into jail with bail set at $2,500 for each of them.

Testimony of Occupy Santa Barbara observers, filmed a few hours after the arrests, played on a loop on the group’s website Wednesday morning.

The police “tried to retake the park, but we didn’t peacefully get out of their way,” they said, adding that it’s a nonviolent movement, so protesters tried to engage the police in conversation and didn’t move until officers started approaching people.

The 20 officers and two supervisors sent to the event weren’t part of the department’s standard patrol force, according to Harwood. He said the large force was sent because the department didn’t know how “volatile” the situation would be.

There was no enforcement Monday night, the first night of Occupy Santa Barbara, and there may not be any again Wednesday night. The department plans to monitor the situation and then make a decision whether to respond at all.

After arrests Tuesday night, officers left in three phases, with a handful of them staying in the park for a short time. Some gathered up abandoned property, including signs and a plastic chair one man sat in while chained to a flagpole. Or, as one observing protester put it, “They just took s***.”

Meanwhile, some protesters stayed on the public sidewalks and watched, filmed and periodically chanted.

Occupy Santa Barbara continues with general assembly meetings every day at 12:30 and 5 p.m., and the group plans to march Saturday in solidarity with those arrested both locally and in the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Noozhawk staff writer Giana Magnoli can be reached at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address). Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.

» on 10.05.11 @ 10:12 PM

Alright, politics aside: If the cops are ready, willing and able to arrest these people in DLG Plaza for camping, why don’t we demand that they arrest the people camping on library grounds every night or the dozens of campers all along the length of East Beach?

» on 10.06.11 @ 01:57 AM

good idea.

» on 10.06.11 @ 11:45 AM

I feel differently than the protesters. They are being manipulated by those who feel it is their only recourse. They will end up hating the system forever if they do not get their way.

So what is the answer. I believe there should be a forum where people are invited to express opinions contrary to what the mainstream thinks.

Curfews are necessary to prevent anarchy. Anarchy will lead to a much greater problem than loss of freedom of speech. I am sure local Anarchy is the price we will end up paying for the part we are playing in the middle east.

Wont history ever be a lesson to be learned? When will our personal egos leave us and permit us to listen to the past.

Shouting Fire in a crowded place is not allowed and protests should have a dimension of being beyond tolerance similarly.
Perhaps I would feel differently if the shoe was on the other foot but I don’t believe it would.

I am anxious to see how this plays out, having watched how the students were manipulated in the 60’s and 70’s.with some still blaming the system and hating all enforcement.

» on 10.06.11 @ 12:11 PM

We let millions of criminals roam free and act with impunity (illegal immigrants).

We let thousands of corporate executives steal billions and go free from any and all prosecution.

We let flagrant violators of our basic civility do as they please.

We pat down little old ladies and breast cancer survivors at airports.

We advocate torture and the removal of basic human rights from anyone whom we disagree with…

Yet we arrest peaceful protesters who are asserting their most basic American right.

This country is upside down.  We’re heading towards capitulation…and its not going to end well for most of you. Especially those who do not understand why people are angry and or think that everything is A OK out there.

» on 10.06.11 @ 02:53 PM

People are waking up, finally realizing that our new aristocracy are not “wealth creators”. They are wealth accumulators and they have accumulated their riches through market manipulation, the elimination of U.S. jobs, and short-selling the future of U.S. industries.

They have only one main goal: to accumulate to themselves as much as they can of the wealth this nation generates, and the assets that belong to every citizen. They are well on their way to doing it, too.

» on 10.06.11 @ 11:39 PM

Yeah, you can camp just about anywhere you want in SB, even though it is illegal to sleep on public property, just so long as you are not espousing a political point of view. The powers that be don’t like political dissent very much but if you are merely drop-dead drunk, or doped up or crazy as a loon and using park land and street corners as bathrooms then camping is perfectly ok.

» on 10.07.11 @ 12:07 AM

Rambler,

Let’s lynch them or better yet we could bring back the guillotine (the French did okay with it) and behead a few of these filthy bourgeois accumulators.

» on 10.07.11 @ 02:07 AM

I don’t know if these eight people are decent workers or not.  I do know that my company and many others do not hire anyone with an arrest/conviction record. Does anybody know if the City or State hires people with records?

» on 10.07.11 @ 03:03 AM

I believe that the 8 people who were arrested fully believe their arrest record will eventually be erased.
Unfortunately our egos get in the way of our common sense and although the parties are sincere. Sincerity never counts . Only time will judge the fallacy or the truth in our actions. I personally believe the protesters are wrong and the worst thing that they can foster is anarchy. Many are out of work and have nothing better to do than to blame everyone else for their problems. I was in business in Santa Barbara for many years and I honestly believed and practiced that the customer was always right and that if you wanted to succeed in business you had to give the client what they wanted faster and cheaper than anyone else.I repeat the protesters may change the way people think but will it be better or worse. Only time can tell and I think it will be worse if they get their way. I hope they know something i don’t cause things look bleak for us right now. I sincerely believe that the progressives want what the conservatives have but are not willing to pay the price. Just my thought. I also believe poor people are much richer today than the richest king was yesterday. Are they happy with what they have accomplished. No!!! They will not be happy until they make the rest of the world as miserable as they are today. My point of view. Let us watch time and see who is right and who is wrong.

» on 10.07.11 @ 03:33 PM

This is not original with or from me but expresses my views better than anything I could have thought of
So… today rain came down in sheets here in Los Angeles. As I walked down Camden Drive in Beverly Hills after a righteous lunch at Mister Chow, the wind was forcing the rain at me horizontally. I got soaked. Earlier, my wife had slipped and fallen on the wet, slippery floor of a parking garage. No one in the garage made a move to help her. I, of course, picked her up and said to the parking attendant, “You’re pretty stupid. That woman who fell is the only woman in Beverly Hills who wouldn’t sue you for that slip. You might at least thank her and help her.”
He shrugged and said something in Spanish.
Anyway, it was that kind of day and when I got to Malibu, the sky was overcast and dreary and I was in traffic. Then the sun came out in a dazzling way.
On the radio, they played a story about the demonstrators on Wall Street demonstrating –literally—against human nature—greed and stupidity. Literally. Many of them were—so we were told—recent college graduates who could not get employment.
Various leftists came on and said how cruel Wall Street was and how they should be blamed for those poor unemployed college kids’ problems.
Then came Herman Cain. He said, very simply, “If you are a college graduate and you can’t get a job, you shouldn’t blame Wall Street. You shouldn’t blame the banks. You should blame yourself.”
A Daniel come to judgment. The sun suddenly came out.
The next step, I am sure, by the way, for the “Occupy Wall Street” crowd is for Anderson Cooper, Bill Maher, and Jon Stewart, the trifecta of conventional wisdom’s failed liberalism, to come down to Wall Street and join the masses in demanding more of our tax money so they can all be supported as novelists and movie directors.
You poor kids. You are basically asking to be supported and taken care of by Mommy and Daddy. Wake up, kids. Wall Street is you, with all of your wants and needs and wishes, only they have the balls to go out and work for it. Sometimes they are crooks and sometimes they are fools—but you know what? So are all of us.
Listen to Mr. Cain. Shut up and get to work.

» on 10.07.11 @ 04:45 PM

Youngat85, you may be young for your age, but you speak with a great deal of wisdom, the type of wisdom one acquires over a lifetime. These kids would be well-served if they read your post, but I think they are too dense to grasp the meaning of your sage advice.

» on 10.07.11 @ 08:40 PM

Listen to what Herman Cain has to say about the protesters. I like the guy and I hope he becomes the challenger to Obama’s failed policies.

If you are poor , why should you insist on prescribing solutions to your problems. Why not ask the people who have been where you are and have successfully climbed out of your failed trap.

You are being manipulated and you don’t even realize it.

» on 10.08.11 @ 11:34 AM

@someguy:  you make some good points.  however.  These folks were warned in advance that they would be arrested if the did not observe the curfew and park closure.  They failed to do so.  They were arrested.  No whining, please, they are simply taking responsibility for their actions.  BTW, back in the good old protest days of the 60s it was the point and an honor to be arrested for protesting one’s cause.

» on 10.08.11 @ 03:38 PM

Back in the sixties. They had a different cause. Now you ask todays protesters and they all have different causes. Or none they can identify
I have always stated that time is the ultimate judge and a difference of opinion creates the energy that makes the world go around. Hopefully that is why men and women think differently. A sincere discussion should be our ultimate goal done in a peaceful manner with all ultimate consequences being explained which was done in this case. I also have a friend who had his head bashed in, In the sixties and will ultimately always remain liberally oriented because he feels it was unwarranted. I feel much differently
In the sixties I recall the protesters were also warned of their rights and their obligations and I actually witnessed
an individual manipulating the crowd by shouting “Lets march to the Bank and burn it down” If I had a can of ultra Violet pain I would have sprayed him for future identification and arrest for inciting a riot. I can explain the formula they used then. They would create a crowd, Disappoint them and then transfer their hostility to the establishment.I also spoke with the then Chancellor Vernon Cheadle who was heart broken when the students invaded his office and did not leave. He was a very honorable person who did not deserve the betrayal of the students. I also heard from the so called revolutionist that only wanted a revolution and not necessarily a solution to the problem. The main ambition at the time was to buy a plot of land in Mendocino , grow pot, and live on their coupon clippings.

» on 10.09.11 @ 01:26 PM

@youngat85:  keep on posting!  We need more who remember how it really was.

» on 10.10.11 @ 01:06 AM

youngat85. I love it! Keep posting.

» on 10.12.11 @ 01:55 AM

Yes! Young at 85, do keep posting! And here’s a great article about questioning authority (a saying from days gone by):

» on 10.12.11 @ 02:16 PM

Interesting comparison between the behavior of the tea party types and the occupy wall street types. Before watching, guess who does all the obscene name-calling and who tries for reasonable discussion…

» on 10.12.11 @ 04:00 PM

Oh John,  you’re so easily persuaded.

If you think this Occupy movement is at odds with the TEA party you’re an even bigger idiot than you portray.

Thanks for continuing to prove why you and your ilk are no longer relevant.  Its only a matter of time before you get what’s coming… hope you’re ready, but I know you’re not…

» on 10.12.11 @ 06:40 PM

someguy,

“Its only a matter of time before you get what’s coming”

I can only imagine what is going on in that head of yours. You know with rhetoric like that you may feel more comfortable in Cuba, Venezuela or Iran, all of them places where citizens can never be sure what’s coming.

» on 10.12.11 @ 07:26 PM

That’s my boy someguy. Love to see little Trotskys show their colors. Bring it on.

» on 10.12.11 @ 08:16 PM

You guys really are living in the dark ages of the Cold War.  Marxism, Communism, ____ism, all failed attempts at slinging useless associations.  You sound like decrepit old men.  But wait!  You are decrepit old men.

Lou,  you are not capable of understanding anything new.  That is why the world of today is so confusing and scary to you. That is why you cling to antiquated ideals and long since past days of lore… accept your place in the world and take up lawn bowling.  You’ll be much happier.  As will we.

Petry - there you go again with your submissive talk. Are you really a NAMBLA member? All your talk about men and boys sure leads to a rather unflattering conclusion. Plus, you may want to reconsider your moronic use of your own name since everything about your life is discover-able and none of it is remotely impressive…

» on 10.12.11 @ 09:01 PM

someguy, I love your affection for me.  You know my name, what I look like and where I live - but I can guarantee that you know nothing about me.  Come on by.  But the one thing I know about you and your sock puppet Rambler is that you are miserable, trembling cowards, I realize that you are incapable of actually following up on any of your threats without losing control of your bowels and crapping your pants while simultaneously sobbing yourself into hyperventilation.  I do, though, enjoy getting under your skin.

» on 12.23.11 @ 11:17 AM

Occupy Wall Street needs to shut its stupid mouth.
How dare they count every person in the ninety-nine percent they talk about as in with them.
They do not have a right to speak for me.
I like the rich.
Many of them started with nothing or almost nothing.
Steve Jobs and countless others became VERY rich after being very poor.
They did not complain.
They had ideas and went with them.
The top one percent creates jobs.
Our companies, stores, firms and on and on that employ millions were not started by poor people.
They were started by the wealthy.
Now, OWS states that the rich are our enemy.
Great, go against those who create so much.
Occupy Wall Street has got to be the most stupid bunch of idiots to ever band together.
They have no real clue as to what they are doing.
In Los Angeles, they accomplished nothing and left a mess that cost the city a lot of money.
In Seattle, OWS blocked docks and tried to prevent people from going to work.
Yet, they claim they want people to go to work.
The entire Occupy movement is a joke.
They talk for the entire ninety-nine percent, but of those ninety-nine percent of the people, about ninety percent are working.
I live in Beverly Hills and I’m doing fine.
I don’t need Occupy Wall Street to tell me what to do.

George Vreeland Hill