El Niño weather events are caused when warmer ocean temperatures in the equatorial Pacific Ocean are pushed by surface winds, moving the water eastward.
Noozhawk’s Prescription for Abuse series is a special project exploring the misuse and abuse of prescription medications in Santa Barbara County.
Our series is a result of an exciting and unique partnership with USC’s Annenberg School for Communication & Journalism, which awarded Noozhawk a California Endowment Health Journalism Fellowship to undertake this important work.
The Santa Barbara Challenge is a joint partnership with the Davenport Institute for Public Engagement and Civic Leadership at Pepperdine University’s School of Public Policy in Malibu. It’s a unique venture for the institute, for Noozhawk, and for New Media in general.
Noozhawk’s reporters outlined Santa Barbara’s financial circumstances and budget process to provide context for the Santa Barbara Challenge. Afterward, with UserVoice.com, another Davenport Institute affiliate, we’ll launched an interactive and easy-to-use online survey through which Noozhawk readers can recommend ways the city can fix its budget or spend our money more wisely.
Santa Barbara Challenge Survey | Complete Series Index
As part of National Nurses Month, Noozhawk asked a few local health-care providers to nominate a nurse from their teams to be recognized among Santa Barbara County’s most inspirational nurses.
- 1. For Utility Companies, Disaster Preparation Begins Far in Advance of Emergencies - March 27, 2017 | 8:40 p.m.
- 2. Camp Natoma Takes Youth Back to Its Roots, Exploring Nature and Having Fun Under… - March 27, 2017 | 8:24 p.m.
- 3. Cate Girls Lacrosse Defeats Aspen High - March 27, 2017 | 7:29 p.m.
- 4. Fire Causes $200,000 Damage to Play Structure at Santa Maria Park - March 27, 2017 | 6:18 p.m.
- 5. Former Santa Barbara Mayor, Councilman Hal Conklin Announces Bid for City’s… - March 27, 2017 | 6:07 p.m.
Subscribe to Noozhawk's A.M. Report, our free e-Bulletin sent out every day at 4:15 a.m. with Noozhawk's top stories, hand-picked by the editors.Sign Up Now >