Nearly 24 hours before show time, Old Spanish Days Fiesta organizers on Tuesday evening said all live public viewing is canceled for Wednesday’s Fiesta Pequeña on the steps of the Santa Barbara Mission.
The public initially was invited to attend an in-person Fiesta Pequeña on Wednesday afternoon.
Additionally, the Noches de Ronda performances have been called off, according to Old Spanish Days El Segundo Vice Presidente David Bolton.
The free events were scheduled on Thursday, Friday and Saturday at the Santa Barbara County Courthouse Sunken Garden.
More details were not immediately available Tuesday evening.
The cancellations of Old Spanish Days Fiesta public gatherings come as Santa Barbara County faces a surge of coronavirus cases amid the pandemic.
The steps of the Santa Barbara Mission Tuesday morning were bustling with pre-show activities as crews worked to set up the outdoor stage ahead of the official opening of Fiesta, an annual Santa Barbara tradition since 1924.
Portable, plastic folding chairs were seen stacked on top of each other.
The massive lighting used to illuminate performers and the sound equipment sat ready to be installed.
Fiesta organizers were gearing up for Fiesta Pequeña, and they held a press conference to emphasize COVID-19-related protocols designed to keep people safe during the pandemic.
“We have all the safety protocols in place for the beautiful event being held tomorrow evening, with social distancing, masks and a safe environment,” La Presidenta Stephanie Petlow said. “We have been in touch with county health officials, and are awaiting further instructions from them regarding holding the event tomorrow (Wednesday) evening, and other events we will be holding later in the week.”
Thousands of spectators often pack the lawn near the Mission Rose Garden to view the program.
La Fiesta Pequeña, or “Little Fiesta,” has been celebrated at the Mission since the late 1920s, with traditional songs and dancing, including styles of flamenco, Californios, classical Spanish and Mexican folklórico.
Santa Barbara’s annual 97th Old Spanish Days Fiesta is scheduled for Wednesday to Sunday.
“Honoring Our Generations” is the theme for this year’s event.
Several crowd favorites —the Mercado De La Guerra next to Santa Barbara’s City Hall, the equestrian parade up State Street, and El Desfile De Los Niños down State Street— will not occur during this week’s Fiesta due to pandemic concerns.
As of about 7 p.m. Tuesday, it was unclear if the other scheduled events will take place.
Last week, organizers announced the Mercado De La Guerra event won’t be happening because of pandemic health and safety concerns.
Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish, at 227 N Nopal St. is holding its Fiesta mercado on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, and food pre-orders are available for tamales, tri-tip tortas, and pozole.
Click here to view the Old Spanish Days Fiesta website.
Last year, Old Spanish Days Fiesta events and the Old Spanish Days Fiesta Stock Horse Show and Rodeo were canceled because of the global COVID-19 crisis.
— Noozhawk staff writer Brooke Holland can be reached at bholland@noozhawk.com. Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.

