Santa Maria broke a 112-year-old heat record for the date on Tuesday, according to the National Weather Service.

Heat records also were set in two other Central Coast communities: San Luis Obispo and Camarillo.

The thermometer reached 85 degrees at the Santa Maria Airport, edging the mark of 84 set in 1910.

The high in San Luis Obispo was 86, beating a mark of 84, while Camarillo topped out at 90, just ahead of the previous high of 89.

Both of those records had been set in 2013.

Sunny skies are expected again in Santa Barbara County on Wednesday, although highs should only be in the 70s.

Things should turn cooler and wetter on Thursday, which has a 30% chance of rain, rising to 70% Thursday night.

Friday is calling for a 60% chance of rain, dropping to 30% Friday night.

Rainfall totals are likely to be between a quarter and three-quarters of an inch, with a slight chance of thunderstorms.

Daytime highs Thursday through the weekend are expected to range from the upper-50s to the low-60s, with overnight lows around 40.

Sunny skies should return Sunday, the beginning of a gradual warming trend.

Click here for the latest forecast from the National Weather Service.

Noozhawk executive editor Tom Bolton can be reached at Follow Noozhawk on Twitter: @noozhawk, @NoozhawkNews and @NoozhawkBiz. Connect with Noozhawk on Facebook.