[Editor’s note: Noozhawk’s weekly COVID-19 email newsletter is delivered to subscribers on Wednesdays. You can sign up here. We are republishing the newsletters on the website so more readers have access to them.]
Welcome to Noozhawk’s Weekly COVID-19 Briefing.
I’m Noozhawk staff writer Serena Guentz with the latest COVID-19 news in Santa Barbara County.
This newsletter is a way for Noozhawk readers to get important updates in one place.
It is emailed out every Wednesday, for free, to everyone who subscribes.
Here’s What We Know
- According to the Santa Barbara County Public Health Department, for the week ending Friday, the weekly average of reported PCR-confirmed COVID-19 cases increased by 65.5% over the previous seven days.
- As of Nov. 29, the seven-day test positivity rate for Santa Barbara County was 9.2%, an increasing number since mid-November.
- Even with the increase in virus transmission, the county remains in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s low COVID-19 community level.
- On Monday, the county reported 47 coronavirus-positive patients in local hospitals, including nine in intensive-care units. This includes people who are hospitalized for unrelated issues and test positive when admitted, and people who are admitted for coronavirus-related reasons. The number has doubled in the past two weeks.
COVID-19 Vaccine Tracker
Almost 70% of Santa Barbara County residents have been fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and about 59% of residents have received a booster dose.
The county’s vaccination rates are slightly lower than the statewide rates, with 72.4% of Californians having completed the primary series of the COVID-19 vaccine and 60.3% of statewide residents receiving a booster shot.
The county’s rate of residents who received the bivalent booster, 18.5%, is slightly higher than California’s rate of 18.3%.
As of Dec. 1, Santa Barbara County providers have administered a total of 933,037 doses of COVID-19 vaccines.
Readers have sent us dozens of questions about pandemic-related issues. Please send yours to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll try to include them in future newsletters and Noozhawk Q&As.
- Find a COVID-19 vaccine provider near you on the Vaccine Finder search function of https://www.vaccines.gov/search/. You can search for providers by location and by specific vaccine available (Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna, Novavax and Johnson & Johnson). You can also find providers on the county website, publichealthsbc.org/vaccine, or at myturn.ca.gov. Some facilities offer walk-ups as well as appointments.
- Text your ZIP code to GETVAX (438829) for a list of vaccine providers in English, or text your ZIP code to VACUNA (822862) for a list in Spanish.
- There are free COVID-19 testing facilities around the county.
- Find more local pandemic-related information on the Public Health Department website.
- Click here for Noozhawk’s complete Coronavirus Crisis coverage.
Help Support Noozhawk Today
Our team has worked hard to build Noozhawk into the trusted local news platform it is today. We are a vital part of this community.
We’re excited about what we do, but we need your help to continue bringing you the thorough local news coverage you rely on.
Your paid membership in our Hawks Club ensures that we can continue to deliver the news you need and want, 24/7. Will you help us by making a financial commitment today?
Click here to make an online donation.
Thank you for your support.
P.S. — Contributions to Noozhawk are not tax-deductible. Checks can be mailed to Noozhawk, P.O. Box 101, Santa Barbara 93102. Please include your email address so we can contact you.